
As you might have heard, last week, Steven Curtis Chapman's youngest adopted daughter, Maria Sue, was killed in a car accident at the family's home in the Nashville area. Maria had just turned 5 years old this very month--
This has hit me pretty hard. I do not know this family but I have grown up listening to SCC's music and am a big fan! I have been reading a blog that his manager has been writing over the last week...and trying to keep up to date on how this family is doing.
This morning, I was reading the blog and came a cross a youtube.com clip from the local nashville station covering Maira's memorial service...
Cassity watched with me. She has sooooooooooooooo many questions about Maria and Heaven..and why a car ran over her...
I have been trying to explain to her in the best 4 year old way I can that we all will die someday and that if we ask Jesus in our hearts and follow HIM our whole lives-we will get to go to Heaven..and that when people die, their families are very sad, but are also sooo happy that their loved one is with Jesus and that they will see them again one day...
30-40 min. later Cassity comes in with a picture and asks if we can send it to Maria in Heaven-it was a picture of 4 people (without arms) and really big smiles...I asked Cass who was in the picture that she drew and she said that it was Maria and her Mommy and Daddy...
I explained to Cassity that we couldnt send mail to Heaven -but we could send her picture to Maria's mommy and daddy's mailblox.....
she seemed ok with that...
I asked Cassity "what is something you would like to say to Maria's parents that might make them smile?"
She said "GOD LOVES YOU"
so I had her write that on the top of her picture...
she ever so carefully wrote each letter"
"Gob Loves YoU"
and at the bottom she wrote:
CAssiTY
We addressed the envelope and put a stamp on it...and I let her run it out to the mailbox...
There is no real reason I can give why this happened to this family--people say something good comes from things like this...
What I can say is, for our family, it gave me the chance to share the gospel with my daughter in a way that she could relate...and it has been stirring in her heart all day...
For more info go to
http://www.stevencurtischapman.com/
3 comments:
Cassity...YOU make me smile;)
luv, Oma
You are such a good Mommy. So, so good.
I'm misty-eyed. Give Cass a big hug for me.
Got tears in my eyes reading that!
Post a Comment