Growing up, there was a girl in my class named Opal Harmon. I went to school with Opal from the time we were in Kindergarten to Graduation. Opal was a very quiet girl, who probably came from a home that didn't have alot of money. Bless her heart, she wore clothes that didn't match and was often sent home due to lice.
The kids in our class were awful to her. INCLUDING ME. We would stand feet away from her in lunch line and coined the phrase "OPAL GERMS" We would purposely leave her off our birthday invitation list-even when we were inviting the entire class. Nobody wanted to sit by her and she was often the BUTT of many jokes.
She never retaliated. She just took it from us.
As I got older, I really felt bad about how I treated her as a child. I always made an effort to speak to her in our later school years. I hoped she had forgiven me. I never told her I was sorry.
Now that I am a mommy-my heart breaks for both Opal and her Mom. I wonder if she went home all those days after school crying and hurt by all the mean things we did to her, and how that mom must have felt defenseless and her heart might have ached knowing kids were being so mean.
I felt compelled to tell Cassity about Opal today. She is about to start Kindergarten and I suspect there will be an "Opal" in her class. I suggested to Cass, that while you don't have to be best buddies with everyone, that it is very important to treat EVERYONE with respect and kindness no matter who they are.
I told her about how Jesus wants us to love everyone like HE loves us.
I do not wish for Cassity to be a bully. I do not wish for her to be bullied. I want her to have a gentleness and a tender heart for everyone!
I hope that Cassity learned a lesson in my story today..and it sticks with her forever!
Maybe I relearned an important lesson today!
Monday, June 22, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
You are a good Mommy to teach Cassity such an important life lesson. I remember 1 or 2 Opal's in my life, too...cg
You know... I think about Opal every now and then as well. It's amazing how we as kids can be so incredibly mean. I'll have a lasting reminder of my poor behavior, as I was seated next to her during our 4th grade class picture... you can clearly see from the photo that I was trying to scoot away from her... something I am ashamed of to this very day.
Hopefully, when Baby Mason is born and grows older I too will be able to use my shortcomings and errors to help my child(ren) perhaps behave in a different manner.
Amanda
Richard Orchard. He's my Opal, and I've seriously wished through the years that I could somehow apologize to him on behalf of everyone. I hope our kids stand up for the Richards and Opals of their classes; good job Mommy!!
Amazing...thanks for sharing!
Post a Comment